The Role of the Governing Body
School Governors are the equivalent of the Board of Directors and make decisions about how the School is run. They meet on average twice a term as a whole group and more regularly as members of various Committees. School Governors have legal duties, powers and responsibilities. The can only act corporately – NOT individually. The Governors are made up from parents, teachers, LA representatives and community representatives.
Governors are appointed to help
- decide what is being taught
- set standards of behaviour
- agree staffing
- decide how the school budget should be spent
- have a child in the School
- are elected by parents of children at the School
- serve, as do all Governors, for a period of four years
Parent Governors bring the views of parents to the Governing Body but they speak and act as individuals. They are not delegates or mouthpieces of parents and they do not vote for all parents in general. They have equal status in the work of the Governing Body and have normal voting rights.
The full Governing Body is responsible for the running of the School, and meets four times a year to discuss developments and receive feedback from the various Committees that have been set up to look at specific aspects of school life.
At present the Governing Body has the following committees:
- The Personnel Committee, which is responsible for all school appointments and pay decisions
- The Resources Committee, which is responsible for managing the school’s budget and ensure the School is financially accountableand overseeing all aspects relating to the school buildings and grounds
- The Learning and Teaching Committee, which looks at the curriculum and learning and teaching across the School
- The Pupil, Parents and Community Committee, which is responsible for ensuring effective communication and policies relating to pupils, parents and our community
The Governing Body has also appointed a Discipline Panel and an Appeals Panel that meet as required to hear cases relating to discipline within the School or appeals from parents who have been unsuccessful in obtaining a place for their child at Oak Lodge.
There are separate individuals or pairs of Governors looking at and working on
- Child Protection
- School Meals
- Special Needs
- Links with other Governing Bodies
Minutes of Governors’ meetings are always available in the School Reception for anyone to read. If you wish to contact the Governing Body please address your correspondence to Chair of the Governing Body, Oak Lodge Primary School and pass it to the School Office who will forward it to the Chair of Governors.
Click here to download the Privacy Notice for Governors and Voluneers